6 Warning Signs of Alternator Failure
For your vehicle to reliably fire up and keep cruising smoothly down the road, you need a healthy alternator. When an alternator malfunctions, the battery can become drained to the extent that you end up unable to get moving. At the first sign of an alternator issue, you'll want to be proactive about addressing it. Here are six symptoms of alternator failure.
New batteries should work dependably for at least three years. If yours dies sooner and not because of an obvious reason like leaving your headlights on, then alternator trouble could be to blame.
Dashboard Warning Light
It's often the case that the first indication of alternator trouble is an illuminated dash light that says ALT or GEN. Anytime a warning light comes on, you'll want to quickly pinpoint the underlying issue.
When an alternator isn't working properly, headlights may start acting erratically. Dimming or flickering headlights pose a significant safety hazard if you have to drive on roads that aren't lit up by streetlights.
Problems with Electrical Accessories
Newer vehicles regularly have computers that calculate which electrical accessories should have their power supply reduced when the alternator is malfunctioning. This saves power for the vehicle's most crucial electrical functions, but could be why an accessory such as power seats isn't working right.
A faulty alternator may prevent spark plugs from receiving adequate power. This could consequently cause your vehicle to stall.
If you have reason to believe that your vehicle is experiencing alternator trouble, then you should pop your hood to take a quick look. If you can see that a belt is cracked or isn't fitting correctly, then you may have spotted the source of your alternator issue.
When you need auto maintenance in Troy, MO, give CNC Automotive & Diesel Repair a call at 636-528-4808 to schedule an appointment. Our experienced mechanics can expertly complete any of your vehicle's repair or maintenance needs before you hit the road!
- 3 Maintenance Tasks to Prevent Severe Engine Trouble
- 5 Warning Signs of Cooling System Trouble We Can Fix at Our Troy, MO Auto Shop
- 4 Symptoms of a Cracked Engine Block
- Follow these Simple Tips to Boost MPGs & Save Gas Money
- What can I do to prevent major transmission problems?
- Signs of Brake Failure We Can Fix at our Troy, MO Auto Shop
- Warning Signs of Engine Trouble We Can Fix at Our Troy, MO Auto Shop
- Simple Ways to Keep Your Brakes in Great Shape
- Road Trip Auto Maintenance: A Quick Look at Important Tasks
- Simple Ways to Reduce the Risk of Serious Engine Trouble
- Common Warning Signs of an Alternator Problem
- Warning Signs of Suspension Trouble that We Can Fix at our Troy, MO Auto Shop
- Important Maintenance Tasks to Keep Your Engine Healthy
- Common Causes of No-Start that We Can Fix at Our Troy, MO Auto Shop
- Symptoms of Cooling System Failure that We Can Fix at Our Troy, MO Auto Shop
- What are common signs of diesel engine trouble?
- Helpful Tips for Preventing Fuel Waste
- Common Signs of an Engine Problem
- What are common check engine light triggers?
- Auto Maintenance Tasks to Prepare Your Car for a Road Trip
- Important Benefits of Staying Up to Date with Oil Changes
- 6 Warning Signs of Alternator Failure
- Common Indications of a Transmission Problem
- Expert Auto Repair in Troy, MO
- 7 Car Problems that Can Cause No-Start
- Winter Auto Maintenance Tasks to Optimize Safety
- Recognizing Signs of Brake Trouble
- Follow these 7 Tips to Boost Gas Mileage
- 5 Common Signs Your Car Needs Engine Repair