What are common check engine light triggers?
When the check engine light comes on, it doesn't always mean that engine failure is nearing. But it's best to play it safe and visit the shop for diagnostics so that the issue can be identified before it gets worse and costs more to fix. At CNC Automotive & Diesel Repair, our local auto shop uses advanced diagnostic equipment to make sure we accurately diagnose the problem that is triggering your check engine light. Whenever a dashboard warning light comes on, you'll want to be proactive about addressing it.
Common Reasons the Check Engine Light Turns On
A malfunctioning catalytic converter is often to blame for an illuminated check engine light. It's important that you're driving with a healthy catalytic converter so that your car isn't excessively polluting. Signs of catalytic converter trouble include worsening acceleration, a sulphurous odor, and a drop in MPGs. A bad oxygen sensor can also trigger the check engine light, and may cause issues with the catalytic converter. Another sensor that can cause the check engine light to come on is the mass airflow sensor. Problems with a MAF sensor may cause your car to stall shortly after you start your engine.
Another potential check engine light trigger is malfunctioning spark plugs. If your car was manufactured in the last twenty years, then there's a good chance it can go 100,000 miles before needing new plugs. Older automobiles tend to need plug replacement more frequently. An ignition coil problem could also trigger the check engine light. Ignition coil trouble can cause problems with getting your car to start, and may also lead to a reduction in fuel-efficiency. A faulty car battery can also trigger the light if it causes low voltage at the computer. A loose gas cap might also cause the light to come on as it allows vapors to escape the tank.
Check Engine Light Repair in Troy, MO
When you need auto maintenance in Troy, MO, give CNC Automotive & Diesel Repair a call at 636-528-4808 to schedule an appointment. Our experienced mechanics can expertly complete any of your vehicle's repair or maintenance needs before you hit the road!
- 3 Maintenance Tasks to Prevent Severe Engine Trouble
- 5 Warning Signs of Cooling System Trouble We Can Fix at Our Troy, MO Auto Shop
- 4 Symptoms of a Cracked Engine Block
- Follow these Simple Tips to Boost MPGs & Save Gas Money
- What can I do to prevent major transmission problems?
- Signs of Brake Failure We Can Fix at our Troy, MO Auto Shop
- Warning Signs of Engine Trouble We Can Fix at Our Troy, MO Auto Shop
- Simple Ways to Keep Your Brakes in Great Shape
- Road Trip Auto Maintenance: A Quick Look at Important Tasks
- Simple Ways to Reduce the Risk of Serious Engine Trouble
- Common Warning Signs of an Alternator Problem
- Warning Signs of Suspension Trouble that We Can Fix at our Troy, MO Auto Shop
- Important Maintenance Tasks to Keep Your Engine Healthy
- Common Causes of No-Start that We Can Fix at Our Troy, MO Auto Shop
- Symptoms of Cooling System Failure that We Can Fix at Our Troy, MO Auto Shop
- What are common signs of diesel engine trouble?
- Helpful Tips for Preventing Fuel Waste
- Common Signs of an Engine Problem
- What are common check engine light triggers?
- Auto Maintenance Tasks to Prepare Your Car for a Road Trip
- Important Benefits of Staying Up to Date with Oil Changes
- 6 Warning Signs of Alternator Failure
- Common Indications of a Transmission Problem
- Expert Auto Repair in Troy, MO
- 7 Car Problems that Can Cause No-Start
- Winter Auto Maintenance Tasks to Optimize Safety
- Recognizing Signs of Brake Trouble
- Follow these 7 Tips to Boost Gas Mileage
- 5 Common Signs Your Car Needs Engine Repair